Florida is home to one of the largest senior aged populations. And all seniors need some form of healthcare.
If you’re looking for a career in Florida with plenty of job stability, you should take a class to start an entry-level medical job like a phlebotomist.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Should You Enroll in a Phlebotomy Training Program in Florida?
- 2 Where Can I Find Classes for Medical and Phlebotomy Training Near Me?
- 3 How Much Can You Earn Once You Complete Your Phlebotomist Training in Florida?
- 4 Who Can Enroll in Local Phlebotomy Classes?
- 5 How Long is Phlebotomy Training?
- 6 Do Employers in Florida Require a Phlebotomy Certification Course?
- 7 How Much Do Phlebotomy Schools Near Me Cost?
- 8 More Local Phlebotomy Courses in Florida
- 9 How’s the Job Outlook for Phlebotomists in Florida?
Why Should You Enroll in a Phlebotomy Training Program in Florida?
While Florida’s economy has suffered from the recent economic downturn, healthcare job growth has not. Here’s a few facts to consider:
- Florida’s Population is Old – Let’s face it. Florida is a haven for senior citizens. It’s common for many retirees to move to Florida after they stop working. Florida’s cities of Punta Gorda, Bradenton, Vero Beach, and Naples all have a senior citizen population of over 25%! And all of these retirees need more healthcare than the younger, average citizen.
- Explosive Job Growth in Healthcare Industry – In the past decade, the average job growth for other industries, including manufacturing or technology, has been over 2%. But healthcare has seen an average job growth of over 20%. In a state like Florida, this kind of job growth is magnified where healthcare demand is higher.
- Medicaid Expansion is Imminent – Currently, the United States is considering expanding Medicaid. An expansion to Medicaid would add an estimated 60,000+ healthcare jobs to Florida. Again, mainly because of its elderly population.
Now is the time to take advantage of Florida’s unique, high demand for healthcare. If you have any interest in the medical field, you should find a phlebotomy course in your city.
Where Can I Find Classes for Medical and Phlebotomy Training Near Me?
Searching for medical training does not have to be difficult. You can use our list of vetted programs to find one that meets your needs.
The steps to compete are simple:
- Click below on a program in your city
- Fill out the short form so that we can put together your customer profile
- We’ll send you all the relevant information to your inbox. And we’ll do it for free!
Get Personalized Attention at UMA
Ultimate Medical Academy is committed to helping you succeed in a healthcare career. That’s why we offer assistance from the very beginning, throughout training, and even after you graduate. One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services—they’re all included in our competitively priced tuition.
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant with Expanded Functions
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- BS in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
At Florida Career College, our supportive faculty and staff are committed to helping you build a life and a future you can be proud of! We have dedicated financial aid representatives who will meet with you one-on one-to help you explore your payment options. Tutoring is available for when you need extra help and once it’s time to look for jobs, a dedicated career services representative will help you with your resume, interview skills and employer connections!
- Patient Care Technician (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Medical Assistant Technician (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Dental Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assisting
- Practical Nursing
- Dental Assisting
- And more...
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- Medical Assisting (Diploma)
- Accelerate your nursing career, deliver better patient care and earn 28 CNEs with Vohra’s Wound Certified Nurse (VWCN™) distinction. Use code HELLO50 for $50 off any Wound Care Certification program.
- 11 Core Modules
- 2 Bonus Modules
- Unlimited Access
- 28 ANCC Continuing Nursing Education Credits
- Wound Care Certification
- Wound Care Certification
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Pre-Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science (Post PTA)
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Science
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapy Assistant
Our mission is to provide career focused education for the purpose of gaining entry-level employment and advancement opportunities which will empower college students to positively contribute to their communities.
- Medical Assistant - Associate
- Dental Assisting - Diploma
Florida National University offers a variety of programs that range from Accounting, Business, Computers, Criminal Justice, Dental Technology, Education, Psychology, Nursing, Health Administration, Medical Technology, Legal/Paralegal, Respiratory Therapy, Physical Therapist-Assistant, Radiology and Ultrasound. All programs aim to prepare the students for personal and professional success as well as to become productive members of our society.
- Medical Assistant, Diploma
- Medical Assistant Technology, AS
Finding a program is as simple as clicking “Request Info” above and filling out a form. You don’t need to do any more research. Once we match you with a proper program we will send you information including tuition and registration fees, enrollment dates, and financing options.
How Much Can You Earn Once You Complete Your Phlebotomist Training in Florida?
Finishing your phebotomy career training is your entry point to a medical career. Phlebotomists in Florida usually see an entry-level salary.
The salary varies depending on the city. So as a reference, we’ve put together a list of the median salary for a phlebotomist in Florida’s most popular cities:
- Jacksonville - $29,016
- Miami – $29,631
- Tampa – $29,600
- St. Petersburg – $29,605
- Orlando – $29,615
As you can see, a phlebotomist in Florida will typically earn just under $30,000 a year. In a state like Florida, where cost of living is below average, this salary is enough to earn an independent living. Housing and utilities are inexpensive in Florida, so you can live off a $30,000 salary with the proper budget.
Who Can Enroll in Local Phlebotomy Classes?
In Florida, all you need is a high school degree to get started. That means you can become a Phlebotomy Technician training even at a young age of 18!
If you’re unsure about college or what career path to follow after high school, you should look into enrolling in a phlebotomist school. As you go through the classes, you’ll get a good idea of the type of work you’ll be doing. It’s your chance to see if this is something you’d enjoy.
Remember, phlebotomy is just the start of a medical career. Once you’ve worked as a phlebotomist, many have leverage their experience into lab management. Others really found their passion in medicine and decided to go on to become nurses.
How Long is Phlebotomy Training?
It’s tempting to try out the phlebotomy profession, but exactly how long is phlebotomy school? In Florida, state regulations on schools for phlebotomy require a very comprehensive training.
A phlebotomist must meet a few minimum training hours to practice phlebotomy. These hours include:
- 40 Hours of Classroom Instruction
- 40 Hours of Practical Training with phlebotomy training specialists
In addition, a phlebotomist must also take continuing education classes every couple years! So your phlebotomy on the job training will continue for years.
Do Employers in Florida Require a Phlebotomy Certification Course?
Yes, Florida requires phlebotomists to be certified to practice phlebotomy. Every phlebotomist in Florida must be certified by the state. The state requirements are:
- 40 Classroom Hours
- 40 Practical Training Hours
- 50 Venipunctures
- 10 Skin Punctures
Also, a certification is only valid for two years. This means that you must take at least 6 hours of a phlebotomy training course to renew your certificate every two years. Otherwise, your employer may not be able to let you practice phlebotomy.
How Much Do Phlebotomy Schools Near Me Cost?
Enrolling in a school for phlebotomy will usually cost over $1000. Sometimes even closer to $2000.
At City College, which has campuses in Fort Lauderdale, Gainesville, and Miami, tuition can cost up to $315 per credit hour. Taking classes at the College of Central Florida has tuition fees of over $2000 per semester. So your phlebotomy training cost will be about $2000 if you’re taking a class at a college or university.
In addition, some future phlebotomists may want to take a preparatory class for the phlebotomy certification exam. Express Training Services offers an 80-hour preparatory class that costs over $800.
More Local Phlebotomy Courses in Florida
If you’re looking for a course, again we recommend you click “Request Info” on any of the programs above that interest you. However, we understand that you may want to do some independent research. It’s important to educate yourself as much as possible about your phlebotomist education and training.
That’s why we’ve gathered a list of school in Florida that offer medical and phlebotomy classes. You can find phlebotomy training in Tampa, as well as other cities like Vero Beach, Altamonte Springs, Gainesville, Ocala, Ft. Myers, Naples, Vero Beach, Ocala, Gainesville, Pensacola, Melbourne, Jacksonville, Tampa, Miami, Coral Springs, Fort Pierce, Eustis, Tallahassee, Ocala, Pensacola, Sarasota, Bradenton, Clearwater, Winter Park, and Orlando.
Take a look at the list below and find a class near you:
|Adult and Community Education School||1426 19th Street, Vero Beach, FL 32960||http://www.indianriverschools.org/schools/AdultEd/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx|
|Cambridge Institute of Allied Health and Technology||Altamonte Springs Campus- 460 East Altamonte Dr. Altamonte Springs, FL 32701||http://www.cambridgehealth.edu/phlebotomy-training-schools.html|
|City College||7001 N.W. 4th Blvd. Gainesville, FL 32607||http://www.citycollege.edu/phlebotomy_training_classes/index.cfm|
|College of Central Florida||3001 SW College Rd, Ocala FL 34474-4415||http://www.cf.edu/news/phlebotomy022212.html|
|Erwin Technical Center||2010 E Hillsborough Ave Tampa, FL 33610||http://erwin.edu/CourseDetail.aspx?CourseId=119|
|Express Training Services||Ft. Myers- 1469 Colonial Blvd., Suite 202 Ft. Myers, FL 33907 ||http://expresstrainingservices.com/v2/|
|Express Training Services||Naples-2520 Davis Blvd., Suite 200 Naples, FL 34104||http://expresstrainingservices.com/v2/|
|Express Training Services||Vero Beach- 1655 27th St., Suite I Vero Beach, FL 32960||http://expresstrainingservices.com/v2/|
|Express Training Services||Ocala- 1601 NE 25th Ave, Suite 101 Ocala, FL 34470||http://expresstrainingservices.com/v2/|
|Express Training Services||Gainesville- 3911 Newberry Rd., Suite B Gainesville, FL 32607||http://expresstrainingservices.com/v2/|
|Express Training Services||Pensacola- 4900 Bayou Blvd., Suite 111 Pensacola, FL 32503||http://expresstrainingservices.com/v2/|
|Florida Medical Training Institute||Melbourne Campus- 478 Babcock St., Melbourne FL 32935||http://www.fmti.edu/courses.php?cID=6|
|Florida Medical Training Institute||Jacksonville Campus- 8102 Blanding Blvd. Suite #4 Jacksonville, FL 32244||http://www.fmti.edu/courses.php?cID=6|
|Florida Medical Training Institute||Tampa Campus- 3611 W. Hillsborough Ave Suite 214 Tampa, FL 33614||http://www.fmti.edu/courses.php?cID=6|
|Florida Medical Training Institute||Miami Campus- 7902 NW 36 Street Suite 214-215 Miami, FL 33166||http://www.fmti.edu/courses.php?cID=6|
|Florida Medical Training Institute||Coral Springs Campus- 7451 Wiles Road Suite 105 Coral Springs, FL 33067||http://www.fmti.edu/courses.php?cID=6|
|Fortis College||5995-2 University Blvd., Jacksonville FL 32216||http://www.fortis.edu/programs/ecg-phlebotomy-lab-assistant.aspx|
|Indian River State College||3209 Virginia Avenue, Fort Pierce FL 34981||http://www.irsc.edu/programs/healthscience/phlebotomy/phlebotomy.aspx?id=1993|
|Lake Technical Center |
Lake Technical Center
|2001 Kurt Street, Eustis FL 32726||http://www.laketech.org/programs/phlebotomy|
|Lively Technical Center||500 Appleyard Drive Tallahassee, FL 32304||http://livelytech.com/healthed/phlebotomy/|
|Marion County Community College||1014 SW 7th Road Ocala, FL 34471||http://www.marion.k12.fl.us/schools/chs/courses/health_occupations.html#03|
|Pensacola State College||1000 College Blvd. Pensacola, FL 32504||http://www.pensacolastate.edu/program_page.asp?DeptID=6746&ProgID=892|
|Sarasota County Technical Institute||4748 Beneva Road Sarasota Road, FL 34233||http://www.scti.edu/index.aspx?page=319|
|Southwest Florida Technical Institute||6513 14th Street, Suite 103/141/143 Bradenton, FL 34207||http://www.flacna.org/|
|Ultimate Medical Academy||Tampa Campus- 9309 N Florida Ave Tampa, FL 33612 ||http://www.ultimatemedical.edu/programs/phlebotomy-technician|
|Ultimate Medical Academy||Clearwater Campus- 1255 Cleveland Street Clearwater, FL 33756||http://www.ultimatemedical.edu/programs/phlebotomy-technician|
|Winter Park Tech||Main Campus- 901 W. Webster Avenue Winter Park, FL 32789||http://www.wpt.ocps.net/programs/health_and_science/phlebotomy.html|
|Winter Park Tech||Avalon Campus- 2201 South Crown Hill Blvd. Orlando, FL 32828||http://www.wpt.ocps.net/programs/health_and_science/phlebotomy.html|
How’s the Job Outlook for Phlebotomists in Florida?
Again, Florida is a haven for healthcare professionals. While other industries have struggled, Florida’s healthcare industry continues to grow at healthy pace. Given the increasing population of seniors in this state, the demand for a phlebotomist will continue to increase for years.
As a reference, here is a trend graph of job postings for phlebotomists in Florida: