Louisiana’s economy is known for their energy production. But getting a career in this state is not just about minerals and oil.
You can actually enjoy a high-demand career in healthcare. And one of the fastest ways to start a career in healthcare is by enrolling in phlebotomist classes.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Should You Enroll in a Phlebotomy Training Program in Louisiana?
- 2 Where Can I Find Classes for Medical and Phlebotomy Training Near Me?
- 3 How Much Can You Earn Once You Complete Your Phlebotomist Training in Louisiana?
- 4 Who Can Enroll in Local Phlebotomy Classes?
- 5 How Long is Phlebotomy Training?
- 6 Do Employers in Louisiana Require a Phlebotomy Certification Course?
- 7 How Much Do Phlebotomy Schools Near Me Cost?
- 8 More Local Phlebotomy Courses in Louisiana
- 9 How’s the Job Outlook for Phlebotomists in Louisiana?
Why Should You Enroll in a Phlebotomy Training Program in Louisiana?
Louisiana’s economy is driven by energy, but the demand for the future is in healthcare. Here’s a few things you should know about Louisiana’s economy:
- Healthcare and Technology are the Future – In the next several years, it is projected that the highest growth in jobs will be in the healthcare and technology sector. So even though energy fuels the economy now, job growth is no where near the levels of someone like a phlebotomy or a nurse. Becoming a medical professional now, ensures job opportunities in the future.
- Cheap Living Expenses – One of the perks of living in Louisiana is the cost of living. Louisiana has a lower than average cost of living in nearly every category. Whether you’re buying a house, groceries, or gas, a resident in Louisiana will enjoy cheaper price all around. This makes it much easier for someone to live independently off a phlebotomist’s salary.
Overall, taking a phlebotomy course opens up a career path with a lot of potential. Not only will phlebotomy positions be in demand, but their management positions and any other medical professionals will be in need as well. Now, is the time to take advantage of this job trend by enrolling in a school for phlebotomy.
Where Can I Find Classes for Medical and Phlebotomy Training Near Me?
If you’re trying to find the best phlebotomy career training program, we have what you need. Below you will find a list of vetted programs that specialize in medical professional training. To request information about a program, it only takes a few clicks.
Just follow these steps:
- Click below on any program that you’re interested in
- Fill out the short form so that we can make sure it fits your schedule
- We’ll send you any registration information about the program. Free!
- Fortis offers a Medical Assisting program designed to propel you forward
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Most campuses offer hands-on instruction for a variety of healthcare fields
- Provides guidance & assistance to students exploring their financial aid options
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Assisting - Diploma
- And more...
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
- Massage Therapy
- Business Administration
- Electronic Health Records
- Medical Billing & Coding
- Medical Assisting/Medical Clinical Assistant
- Surgical Technology
- Criminal Justice
- Commercial & Industrial Maintenance Technician
- IT Support Specialist
- Medical Clinical Assistant - Diploma
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Again, the easiest way to get your information is to just click a program and fill out the form above. Once you fill out your details, we’ll send you more information about your phlebotomist school of choice like:
- Tuition Fees
- Enrollment Dates
- Financial Aid Options
- And more!
How Much Can You Earn Once You Complete Your Phlebotomist Training in Louisiana?
Once you complete your Phlebotomy Technician training, you will earn an entry-level salary. Your exact pay depends on which city you live.
To estimate your earnings more closely, we have put together a list of the median salary for a phlebotomist in Louisiana’s five most popular cities:
- New Orleans - $31,267
- Baton Rouge – $26,982
- Shreveport – $28,556
- Lafayette – $25,945
- Lake Charles – $28,240
Overall, you can expect a salary of under $30,000 in Louisiana, unless you live in a higher cost of living city like New Orleans. A salary like this will allow you to live independently, since Louisiana has such a low cost of living.
Who Can Enroll in Local Phlebotomy Classes?
Louisiana allows anyone with a high school degree to enroll in schools for phlebotomy.
In addition, if you’re taking the course at a local college, the college may require some other credits from basic courses in Math or English.
In general, the bar is set low to start a phlebotomy training course. So, whether you just graduated high school or you’re a working aged adult, you will most likely be eligible to start a class. This makes it easy for almost anyone to start a career path in healthcare.
How Long is Phlebotomy Training?
So just how long is phlebotomy school? In Louisiana, you’ll find that most programs last for at least one semester worth of classes. Especially if you take them at a college.
For example, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette has a Phlebotomy Technician Program that lasts about three months. This program meets two times a week with classes taught be phlebotomy training specialists.
Some programs can last even longer. Cameron College’s Advanced Phlebotomy Diploma Program in Louisiana actually lasts over 35 weeks!
Keep in mind that you will continue to learn, even after your classes. Once you’re hired, you will constantly receive phlebotomy on the job training from your teammates and colleagues where you work.
Do Employers in Louisiana Require a Phlebotomy Certification Course?
Yes, according to state law, an individual must have a license or certification issued by the Louisiana State Board of Examiners to perform any duties related to phlebotomy.
So as you look for classes to enroll in, make sure the course will adequately prepare you for these licenses or certifications. You must have one before your employer can hire you.
How Much Do Phlebotomy Schools Near Me Cost?
Your phlebotomy training cost can vary widely. S
Some programs cost only a couple thousand dollars. Some are even more expensive.
For example. the Unitech Training Academy in Alexandria, Lake Charles, West Monroe, Lafayette, Metairie and Houma actually costs over $12,000 in tuition fees alone. However, this is an 11 month program, that goes into comprehensive detail.
Meanwhile, the University of Lousiana’s phlebotomy program only costs about $1600.
As you consider which school to enroll in, make sure you fully understand both the tuition cost as well as the credentials and skills you will earn upon completion. Make sure that the costs will match what you gain!
More Local Phlebotomy Courses in Louisiana
Getting the most out of your phlebotomist education and training is important. So, if you would like to do more research on your own, we’re here to help.
We’ve put together a list of multiple schools in Louisiana that offer phlebotomy classes. Listed below are programs in cities such as Lafayette, Bossier City, New Orleans, Alexandria, Gretna, New Orleans, Lake Charles, Schriever, Monroe, Mansfield, Natchitoches, Minden, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Lafayette, and Houma.
|Acadiana Area Career College||505 Loire Avenue Lafayette, LA 70507||http://www.aaccweb.com/phlebotomy.htm|
|Bossier Parish Community College||6220 East Texas Bossier City, LA 71111||http://www.bpcc.edu/phlebotomy/index.html|
|Cameron College||2740 Canal Street New Orleans, LA 70119||http://www.cameroncollege.com/programs/ADVANCED-PHLEBOTOMY-DIPLOMA-PROGRAM|
|Central Louisiana Medical Academy||3550 Government Street Alexandria, LA 71302-3322||http://www.cenlamed.com/cr-cpt.php|
|Central Louisiana Technical Community College||4311 South MacArthur Alexandria, LA 71302||http://www.cltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=277|
|Crescent City Career Institute||429 Wall Blvd Gretna, LA 70056||http://www.crescentcitycoders.com/practice.html|
|Delgado Community College||City Park Campus-615 City Park Avenue New Orleans, LA 70199||http://www.dcc.edu/campus/cp/ahealth/phlebotomist/|
|Delgado Community College||West Bank Campus-2600 General Meyer Avenue New Orleans, LA 70114||http://www.dcc.edu/campus/cp/ahealth/phlebotomist/|
|Delta School of Business and Technology (Delta Tech)||517 Broad Street Lake Charles, LA 70601||http://www.deltatech.edu/Programs/Certificate-Programs/Phlebotomy-Technician|
|Fletcher Technical Community College||1407 Highway 311 Schriever, LA 70395||http://www.fletcher.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=483|
|Louisiana Delta Community College||7500 Millhaven Road Monroe, LA 71203||http://www.ladelta.edu/academics/#/academics/in_Programs.asp?Prog=PatientCareTechnician/Phlebotomy|
|Louisiana State University at Alexandria||8100 Hwy 71 South Alexandria, LA 71302||http://cps.lsua.edu/departments/AlliedHealth/Degrees|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Mansfield Campus-943 Oxford Road P.O. Box 1236 Mansfield, LA 71052||http://region7.ltc.edu/|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Natchitoches Campus- 6587 Highway 1 Bypass P. O. Box 657 Natchitoches, LA 71457||http://www.nwltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=495|
|Northwest Louisiana Technical College||Minden/Main Campus- 814 Constable Street P.O. Box 835 Minden, LA 71058-0835||http://www.nwltc.edu/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=495|
|Our Lady of the Lake Health Career Institute||7434 Perkins Road Baton Rouge, LA 70808||http://188.8.131.52/PTP.html|
|Rapides Regional Medical Center||211 Fourth St., Box 30101 Alexandria, LA 71301||http://rapidesregional.com/career-center/school-of-phlebotomy.dot#.UPyqg2H9GM1|
|Southern University at Shreveport||Martin Luther King Jr. Drive Shreveport, LA 71107||http://web.susla.edu/academics/Pages/Phlebotomy.aspx?panel=4|
|St. Agatha Career School||7078 Read Blvd. New Orleans, LA 70127||http://www.sacsla.com/Phlebotomy.html|
|Unitech Training Academy||Lake Charles Campus-2827 4th Avenue Lake Charles, LA 70601||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Lafayette Campus-3605 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy. Lafayette, LA 70503||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Hourna Campus-1227 Grand Caillou Road Houma, LA 70363||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|Unitech Training Academy||Alexandria Campus-7228 England Drive Building 1912 Alexandria, LA 71303||http://www.unitechtrainingacademy.com/ekgphlebotomy-technician|
|University of Louisiana at Lafayette||Continuing Education Center PO Box 42411 Lafayette, LA 70504||https://www.ce.louisiana.edu/wconnect/CourseStatus.awp?&course=PHLBW1301|
How’s the Job Outlook for Phlebotomists in Louisiana?
The job prospects for a phlebotomist in Louisiana are very positive.
Again, the healthcare and technology sectors will grow the most jobs in the coming decade. In addition, the unemployment rate for the state of Louisiana has continued on a downward trend for the past few years.
If you’ve been considering a career switch to phlebotomy, now is your chance! Enroll in a program today.